José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

I am a 26-year old Spanish citizen that acquired citizenship

I am a 26-year old Spanish citizen that acquired citizenship through residence in Spain and was also born in Spain. I have also just acquired a British Nationality and was wondering whether it is possible to hold a dual nationality, please?I was under the impression that I would have to register to conserve my Spanish nationality 3 years from acquiring my British nationality and that there would be no problem. However, I am now worried that Spain will make me choose between both and renounce one.Thank you so much for your time. Please advise at your earliest possible convenience.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Yes, I have a Spanish citizenship but have now recently acquired a british citizenship
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No, I need some advice
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that is it please
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
This is related to Australian law. This relates to Spanish and English law.

Hi José M spanish atorney If you get the british nationality you will lose the spanish one in 3 years Sir No double nationality treat between UK and Spain

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for your quick response, José. However, I am not sure if that is correct. On the Spanish Government website it states that, so long as you notify the Spanish authorities that you wish to conserve your Spanish nationality, that you can keep both. Please re-check your facts and let me know. Here is the website I got this from. http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/LONDRES/es/Consulado/Paginas/Conservacion.aspxThanks you.

Hi. Its to mantein the spanish one but legaly you should lost the British one as there is not an international treat to mantein both of them

I mean, legally for Britain is up to you if you mantein the spanish one or not You will be brithih anyway. For Spain if you want to mantein the spanish one you should not ne Britain but they could do nothing if you are

Read more here http://www.icr-translations.com/es/blog/nacionalidad-britanica-y-doble-nacionalidad/

In short, legally you will got not both of them but in fact in you say spanish embassy to keep the spanish one you will be spanish for spanish goberment

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi, okay. My biggest fear is that Spain makes me renounce my Spanish nationality. Is there ever a chance of that happening, please? And what do you mean by this please "legally you will got not both of them"?

Well, actually there is not a legal way to keep them both but there is a movemnet at change.org asking spanish goberment for it.

https://www.change.org/p/gobierno-de-espa%C3%B1a-doble-nacionalidad-para-brit%C3%A1nicos-con-mas-de-diez-a%C3%B1os-de-residencia-en-espa%C3%B1a

Follow them and try to get something together

Thank you I will be here if needed I gently ask for a good rate of my service at the starts

Regards José M