How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask walkereng Your Own Question
walkereng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 556
Experience:  Structural Engineer with over 30 years of experience.
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
walkereng is online now

How to repair a cast iron drainpipe?

Customer Question

A neighbour's builder has damaged my cast iron guttering down pipe, apparently by hitting the top with some scaffolding, which then created a force that also fractured the pipe lower down. Having initially offered a plastic replacement, which I unhappily accepted, they now appear to have reneged on that agreement, saying they are not sure if they did the damage and claiming that the pipe is heavily corroded. I think they have also realised that removing the pipe would damage the wall rendering, which they would also have to make good. A few weeks ago they did a temporary repair, which seemed to involve a bit of silicon at the top and some silver tape lower down... Question: If I have to accept a repair, what should I demand to make sure that it will be done properly and be long lasting?

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 4 years ago.

Hello there,

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you and refund your deposit.

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Thank you!


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Please continue.


Expert:  adamd-mod replied 4 years ago.


Thanks for replying.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

If you decide on a refund, or wish to keep the credit for a future question, then of course we'd honour it.

Thank you for your patience,