How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask walkereng Your Own Question
walkereng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 556
Experience:  Structural Engineer with over 30 years of experience.
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
walkereng is online now

Looking to create a strong floor in my loft, and plan to

Customer Question

Hi. Looking to create a strong floor in my loft, and plan to convert using building regs for the extra habitable room. Roof structure is traditional cut, with struts either side of the chimney stack. There are also three ceiling binders, the middle binder is 2 pieces of 2x4 overlapped and embedded in the gable wall and party wall, the other binders are single pieces of 2x4 and only embedded in gable end... ceiling binders are bolted to the rafters on exterior walls and also overlap in the middle underneath the central ceiling binder. The central ceiling binder also has vertical struts x 2 which are bolted onto the other struts either side of the chimney stack. My Question is, what are my options without modifying the existing structure for now, but future proofing for the proper conversion? Could I add a steel plate to the central ceiling binder along with another piece of 2x4 C24 grade and then hang joists from this to the external walls? Dimensions of the space of basically exactly 6metres by 6 metres. Would another possible idea be to add flitch plates plus additional 2x4s to each ceiling joist? Eventually I would like to remove the strutting as well.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would add that I don't really want to go down the route of full on steels and am only looking to convert into a velux not dormer. For now I want a useable space without full on conversion.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.
What is a binder? I've never heard that term before.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. It is a single piece of 2x4 which is directly underneath the purlins. Attached to this are the struts which are then connected to the roof rafters. Also attached underneath are the ceiling joists.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello? I've not had an answer yet
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I've been working hard to find another Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes ok to wait thank you