Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I have a Tribeca. The temp gauge rises with speed and drops

Customer Question

I have a Tribeca. The temp gauge rises with speed and drops when going slowly or in traffic. No problem in stationary traffic etc only when speed increases.
Any ideas?
I can not detect bubbles in the cooling system.
Thanks Ian
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
any idea when I will get a response?
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Was the thermostat tested for any faults with it?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Removed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
New radiator
New ECU
New temp sensor

O.k., if you did not have the thermostat tested with it removed this should be done.Usually, you can do this in a slowly rising in temp pot of water monitoring the temp of the water with something like a candy thermometer.You want to see the thermostat open fully between 180 and 200 at the most.If it does not open or only opens partially then the thermostat needs replaced.This is a common fault for this issue here.

The other issue I have seen is a restriction in the engine cooling system.If you have not had an engine coolant flush performed this should be done.If there is debris in the cooling system this will cause this issue here and the flush will free up and remove the debris to correct this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The thermostat has been removed. A new radiator fitted and the cooling system reverse flushed. Combustion gas test/ hydrocarbon test carried out. Non detected. Temperature remains stable and only raises under load.

Is there enough air flow through the front of the vehicle/radiator or is anything blocking it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. Standard grille etc.
Temperature returns to normal as soon as you slow down.
Could it be a gauge fault?

That is very possible.If you have not had the actual engine temp tested with a temp probe when it is running hot this needs to be done.If it reads normal around 190 to 210 degrees and with the temp sensor already replaced the gauge can cause this issue here with it needing to be replaced or the instrument cluster removed and repaired by an authorized repair facility.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Pete I will get back to you soon.

Sounds good.

Thanks Pete