sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I want to swap out the head unit on my 2015 subaru outback

Customer Question

I want to swap out the head unit on my 2015 subaru outback with something with apple carplay. I know I can get units that will keep the steering wheel controls and original reversing camera but will swapping out the head unit have any negative effects on the car? E.g. will the eyesight cameras still work?
Assistant: Is this an aftermarket camera, or did it come with the vehicle?
Customer: original camera
Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm taking it to halfords probably, they quoted me for a JVC head unit and all the looms/wires but they didn't know how the eyesight camera was connected/where it is controlled from
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Subaru
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your mechanic automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer. Sorry for any delay.

Dear customer, do you still need help? If so, could you tell me please if the camera is the one that comes from the dealership?
Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is yes

Ok, i will need the vin number or reg number to make sure with the diagrams because this model sometimes change the accesory wires where the cameras are fitted.
My apologies for the delay dear customer, i am having problem with the time zone i currenly am.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Registration is WU65ZUD

Hello dear customer, i have find some stereos that fit with your Subaru and have the same the same harness connector, the Pioneer 8100NEX unit and will be able to mirror the factory backup camera image as well as the Kenwood DDX9902.
About the JVC unit i have not information about it, so the main idea is to compare the connectors before buying it, if the connectors are the same we will not have problems with the cameras. The unit should be compatible with the cameras without any problem.
By the way, Subaru cameras have a harness connector to the stock deck rather than the conventional coaxial.
The fuse that belong to the camera is labeled as a Backup fuse in the engine compartment fuse box,
And the cable that feed the camera is the red/black wire.

Here i share with you the diagram of the rearview camera.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Sebastian, I appreciate the effort that has gone into your answer but I think you have misunderstood my question. I know all of this already. My question is to do with the Subaru eyesight system. I'm asking where is the hardware and software that links to the adaptive cruise control "eyesight" cameras actually found? Is it in the head unit or elsewhere? My worry is I will pull out the head unit and swap it and all of a sudden my adaptive cruise control and emergency automatic braking won't work.

sorry i misunderstood the query dear customer, my apologies.
About the software and hardware of the eyesight, it will work, but you perhaps will have to use a retention kit, and harness, such as the iDatalink Maestro RR and SU1 t harness.
The hardware should be able with the unit board and module so, when you replace it, the JVC unit as it is compatible with your outback should be able to read the eyesight programs as the emergency brake which is part of the eyesight.