sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have an 05 Forester. Since it was in a garage When I get

Customer Question

I have an 05 Forester. Since it was in a garage When I get out and press the lock button the alarm goes off. I think I need to turn off the alarm system and then reactivate it or is there a simpler way?
JA: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?
Customer: The key locks the car fine without the alarm going off.
JA: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've looked at the handbook but can't decide what to do.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, What kind of work was done in the garage?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nothing to do with the alarm.

First, let's try a manual reset to see if it works, this reset works to reset all the modules on your suburu.

1) Turn the key to ON position without ignite the engine.

2) Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.

3) Wait around 3 to 5 minutes to let all the modules delete its data.

4) Turn off the key and take it off.

5) Reconnect the negative terminal.

6) Turn again the key to ON position and wait around 30 seconds to let the modules restart.

7) Turn ON the car

Please let me know, if it works.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry it didn't work. It made ticking noises when I had reconnected the battery and turned the key on.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you email me instructions please.

Then, we have to continue. I want to understand better how this problem happened and if it activates just when you use the key fob.
Also i would like to knnow if you have checked the fuses and the alarm wiring so far?
Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Only happens on using key fob having got out. Not skilful enough to check fuses and wiring.

Dear customer, there are several factors that cause this inconvenience, what happens is that the alarm system is controlled by a module, which is responsible for controlling not only the alarm but also the central locking system and even the anti-theft system.

This module can be deconfigured by various factors either by a defective battery by a defective key fob, by a defective battery of the key fob due to configuration problems in the vehicle.

The steps to arrive at the solution of these problems are progressive. So first you have to ruleo out the battery of the key fob, it is the first thing you must do to observe that it is not a bad signal emitted from the control. Although it works correctly with the vehicle it may be problems with its signal set correctly due to low battery voltage.

Then the control must be programmed again with the anti-theft system. But if the fob does not take programming or even after programming the problem continues, they must replace the control.

And finally, if the problem continues once replacing the fob, we will be sure that the module has problems and that it must be replaced. But this is very unlikely to happen, the most common is that the controls are subjected to certain shocks, humidities, etc., What can cause them to stop working one moment at another.

Have you understood me dear customer?

Dear Customer, my goal is to give you the best advice I can and I hope that I've helped today.If more help is needed or something is not understood, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. You can rate at any time by selecting at the 5 stars rating system and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated and is the only way i receive credit.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc. which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Best regards, Sebastian.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The spare key didn not work.
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 10 months ago.

Was it program it?
Thanks in advance.