Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 2004 subaru forester 2 ltr xt awd, when manouvering

Customer Question

I have a 2004 subaru forester 2 ltr xt awd, when manouvering in parking spaces on each lock there is a binding lumpy sensation in the steering, can you advise please?
JA: Have you checked the fluids?
Customer: please suggest which fluids?
JA: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm not fixing it myself as I am now too old, many years ago I would have said this failing was a constant velocity joint? but I have no experience with awd
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Robert replied 21 days ago.

Hi..there..Im Rob, A fully certified vehicle technician in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

How do you mean "bumpy sensation" - is it like the steering goes normal then binds then normal again as you rotate the steering in either direction?

Does this happen when sitting stationary rotating the steering or just moving?

Expert:  Robert replied 20 days ago.

If you feeling a rotational bumping or intermitent binding effect in the steering wheel..then by that you could well likely have worn UJ joint in the steering column..normally the easy way to test that is to get access the uj joint nearest the floor or steering rack..have the front end jacked up off the ground..and rotate the steering wheel by hand slowly whilst listening or observing the rotational movement of the uj and see if you can spot it bumping as it rotates..or check for any loose play in the joint..further investigation could be to undo the both track rod ends and the rotate the steering..and that should kind of narrow down and eliminate anything further to the steering rack or column..

If its bumping sensation on full or near full lock and felt through the floor of the car or steering..then its quite likely a Driveshaft CV joint...