sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

The car has become immobilised with the sun roof and windows

Customer Question

The car has become immobilised with the sun roof and windows open. It will not stant and the gear stick is locked in Park. The ignition does come on
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: The reg is 08 and I do not know what you mean by brake switch
JA: What is the model of your '08 Subaru?
Customer: otback
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I drove back to the house garden near where we were sitting this morning, left roof and windows open and key in ignition. The alarm started and I took key out and pressed button to stop alarm. All I have done since then is try to start and found the problem.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It was working perfectly this morning and I think I must have done something when switching off the alarm. I am 85 and not mechanically minded, so I jope he can help.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear costumer the solar roof are openned and closesed by a n electric motor,and sometimes it could fail. when the motor fails, the roof stays open.fortunately , subaru has a way to close them manually front and back solar roofs. find the pad map light right above the windshield. place an plat screwdriverbelow the map light lens and pry down slowly to remove it. loosen and retire the screws belos the map light lens wasted. with the phillips screwdriver. pull out the bezel down , leaving uncovered a hexagonal screw in the solar roof motor. this is the manual control for front sunroof. close the solar roof by turning left the screw with the hexagon wrench. turn right the screw to lower the roof once is fully closed. place the whole map light in the car and tighten the screws by a phillips screwdriver. by pressing again the light set unltil it fits.