How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

my husband died two years ago and I have unearthed some BP

Customer Question

my husband died two years ago and I have unearthed some BP tax vouchers going
back to 1993 showing tax credits
What should I be doing with these and is it too late anyway please?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 5 years ago.


I would destroy them if I were you, preferably by shredding them. You will never be asked for them by the tax office or anybody else for that matter.

Prior to 6 April 1999, it was possible to have some or all of the tax credits repaid to the shareholder depending on their tax position for the tax year in which the dividend was paid because the tax was paid to the tax office by the company in the form of advance corporation tax.

From 6 April 1999, the tax credit figure on the each of the vouchers is a notional tax figure, it wasn't paid by the company to the tax office, so it is not repayable under any circumstances.

Let me know if you have any further queries.