How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14200
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have sold a 100 acre wood situated in Romania. I am a UK

Customer Question

I have sold a 100 acre wood situated in Romania. I am a UK citizen and resident. Do I have to pay capital gains tax in the UK?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your question

As a UK citizen you are liable to tax on all your income and gains in the Uk, so yes you will be liable to capital gains tax on the sale of this land in Romania.


If you are subject to tax on this in Romania itself (and it would be worth you seeking local advise in Romania also) then this can be offset against any gain that arises in the UK.


But you should advise HMRC when this sale has gone through, so they can arrange to issue with a self assessment tax return after the year end of sale, so you can declare this gain.