How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14157
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am a UK citizen and want to transfer some property I own

Customer Question

I am a UK citizen and want to transfer some property I own (a small complex comprising a shop, flat and offices) to my two children - then hope to survive seven years! This property has increased in value by around 60% since I bought it. Would I be liable to capital gains tax when the ownership transfer is made? If so, at what rate?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your question


Yes you will be liable to capital gains tax, due to the change of ownership of this property. The rate of capital gains, will probabaly be at 28%, as I suspect your annual income is more than £42475 each tax year.