How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7510
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am being penalised because my employers failed to let HMRC

Customer Question

I am being penalised because my employers failed to let HMRC know my tax situation. This went on for two years and now HMRC are asking me for £1,800.

To summarise, I have a pension and an also employed. When I joined my present job over two years ago, I supplied my P45 and various other documents. Two years on my employers are saying they never received my P45 so I have been underpaying my income tax.

All my documentation was sent in the internal post and none of the other documents were lost/not received. I have written numerous letters listing my objections and asking questions but after very long delays I receive standard letters that do not answer my questions and simply say that I owe the money.

Is there anything I can do to contest this.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.

Can confirm that you were in receipt of your pension before you started the job with the employer who appears to have lost your P45? Is this an occupational or a private or a state pension? Do you remember which tax code was on your P45? What tax code was operated by your employer? Did they ask you to complete a P46 in the apparent absence of your P45? Which tax year(s) are you underpaid for?