How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7520
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

hmrc are taking over over £2.000 from my wages,which they say

Customer Question

hmrc are taking over over £2.000 from my wages,which they say is an overpayment from the local council who i worked for in 2011. i was not self employed and paid through paye.can i approach my previous employer to pay as this was not my fault.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your question


Have HMRC advised how it has come to be that you paid £2000 too little ? Was it use of the wrong tax code? Did you have two incomes at the same time?


Please advise further, then I can see if there is scope to argue this further