How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Hi My husband is a barber and earns roughly £20 a day but has

Customer Question

Hi My husband is a barber and earns roughly £20 a day but has to give the owner of the Barber shop half his earnings so he earns about £10 a day, sometimes £15 a day. He is at work from roughly 12pm until 11pm. As he is technically self employed will he have to register as a company or such. We have a child and I am self employed and work 36 hours a week, and get working tax credit and childcare allowance. How will my husbands work affect me on these awards
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.

How long has your husband been working in the barber shop on the basis that you describe, ie as self-employed? Are the earnings figures in your question correct? I know and have acted for numerous barbers whose earnings are much more than £20 per day.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He has only been working since Tues. There are 3 other barbers in the shop and they all apparently have their own clients so he just gets the odd one or two customers that aren't fussy who cuts their hair. Aslo each hair cut ranges between £4 and £8 and then after that he also has to give the owner of the shop half of the money he earns.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the clarification. Now I understand why the earnings are low.

Your husband should register as a self-employed individual and he can do that on the HMRC website here.

Assuming you and your husband are living together, both your incomes will affect your family entitlement to tax credits and you will need to disclose both incomes in your annual review form for 2013/14. As your husband has only just started the barber shop job, your current level of tax credits will be based on your income for the 2012/13 tax year which ended on 5 April 2013. You should call the tax credit helpline to update your circumstances as soon as possible so as to avoid being paid too much in tax credit which you will only have to repay later. At his current level of income, he may be entitled to working tax credit which he clearly wasn't when he wasn't working.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi I don't believe my husband will be entitled to tax credits as he is in UK on a spouse visa. He has been in UK for 1 year only and has 1 more befopre he can apply for residency. Will the tax office inform immigration that he is now working as self employed?

Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.
I don't deal with immigration questions I'm afraid but I do know that government departments do exchange information. If your husband's visa allows him to work I cannot see there being a problem with the immigration people. There is some useful information on documentation required before an individual in your husband's situation can work here.