How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5112
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

i have just returned to the uk,my log book is lost,i have insurance

Customer Question

i have just returned to the uk,my log book is lost,i have insurance and an m.o.t,how do i tax the car to drive
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 4 years ago.

Hello, if you have any questions or need further clarification after reading my answer please let me know.


Thank you for your question...


please advise if you have tried to request a replacement V5C/Vehicle log book online?


Many thanks


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i need to be able to drive legal tomorrow,i am not good with pc s,i have insured and m o t d my car,i need to tax it ,i live in a village with one bus a week,how can i expedite this situation

Expert: replied 4 years ago.

John, thank you for your reply.


You can get a replacement if your original V5C certificate has been lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed by phoning DVLA or filling a form V62 and taking it to a Post office or sending it to DVLA (a lengthy process)


You can apply by phone if

- you were shown as the registered keeper on the original registration certificate

- your name, address and vehicle details haven't changed

- you can pay the £25 fee by debit or credit card


DVLA Telephone: 0300(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>


Once you have made a call, ask them how long it would take to get a Road Tax disc and also ask if you could drive with a sticker saying duplicate V5C applied for before the car can be taxed.


If you need more information please let me know before you rate my service.


I hope this is helpful and answers your question. I am available for any follow up questions you may have, and you can use the reply button to post your follow up questions to the page. If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get paid for it.