How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15975
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Hi I received a self assessment for 2009-10 recently (I have

Customer Question

I received a self assessment for 2009-10 recently (I have been on PAYE since 2008)
I approached my former employer for a P11D and they do not have one despite me having a car and medical cover at the time. I contacted HMRC and they tell me they have never received a P11D from the employer

I would intend to make a comment on the self assessment about these benefits but my concern is I have not paid the tax for these benefits and will be asked to repay it

Is this my liability or is the former employer partlyu/fully liable and if so how should I appeal if a tax demand comes through(as is likely)
My tax code was above 600L so I think it may not have been deducted that year or since.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.

If you have a company car and/or any other taxable benefits the tax on those is your responsibility. Your former employer will also have a Class 1 A national insurance liability on the benefits which is their responsibility. They should have reported the fact that you had a company car to the tax office by completing a P46 (Car). Many employers are lazy and don't bother. Given that you were probably aware that the benefits you had were taxable and your net pay didn't change, you could have contacted the tax office yourself to have your tax code adjusted so it will be difficult to argue your way out of paying the tax. However, take a look at the notes here and see if you can get the tax office to investigate your former employer. It's a long shot but you never know.

You can use the calculator here to work out the taxable benefit for your car. However, you will need to know the original list price of the car and its CO2 emissions figure. That information can be found here.

I'm afraid that as far as the medical scheme benefit is concerned, you will have to estimate this unless your former employer is more forthcoming with information than they have been to date.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.
Hi again.

I see that you have read my answer to your question. Please let me know if you need further clarification. Otherwise, would you kindly click on Accept or rate my answer as OK or better so that I get paid. Thanks.