How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7509
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am a small business owner & this year have had to borrow

Customer Question

I am a small business owner & this year have had to borrow £10000 to live on as the business could not make enough to pay me. However, my Accountant has just done accounts & on paper I show £62000 profit for the business - last year I showed £42000 profit on paper & got a tax bill of £12000. I managed to borrow on credit cards & use an ISA to pay it & my Accountant managed to get £4000 refunded & cancellation of a further payment of £4000 of tax in July2013. I am now terrified that because the 2012 profit on paper is £62000 I will get an enormous tax bill I have no way of paying. I really do not know what to do please help!
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your question

Do you have any reason to think this net profit figure is wrong? Is it what you expected, and why do you state this is what your profit is on paper, ?? I assume this is the amount you had left over if you drew nothing from the business through the year?


Please expand on your position