How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

I am on suspension from work from the nhs. I have massive

Customer Question

I am on suspension from work from the nhs. I have massive personal debts and I need to earn more money and have been offered well paid short term work. My decision is made I am going to take the risk but will the nhs know in any way through tax codes ets.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 4 years ago.

Hello, if you have any questions or need further clarification after reading my answer please let me know.


Thank you for your question....


You say you are suspended from work from the NHS.. are there any restrictions on you as to what you can do or not do as part of the suspension.


many thanks


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you advise what extra information you require

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Ok I will rate your service.


It states in the exclusion that I am not too work for anyone else but I was considering working further a field would they be able to find out? I am aware my tax code could change but this would not necessary mean I was working for someone else would it. Apparently exclusion from work can take months in the NHS and if I worked as well this would really help me to sort my finances out but I wouldn't like to have to pay back what they paid me whilst of was off.

Expert: replied 4 years ago.
John, thank you for your reply.


Your suspension from work has laid some conditions on you e.g. you are prohibited to work anywhere else. Not being a lawyer, I am not sure if this is enforceable in law and therefore I am not in a position to express an opinion on it.


To be honest, employers have ways of finding out if you are working elsewhere so you will be doing so at your own risk albeit you intend working further a field. It is probable they may not find out about your additional employment.


Changing of tax code - there are many reasons why your tax code could change, one being if you have more than one employment. Your second employer would most probably tax your earnings using a tax code BR. This code is used when all your income is taxed at the basic rate - currently 20 per cent (most commonly used for a second job or pension).

You wanted to know if you can work again whilst being on suspension without being caught through tax/NI.


Tax matters between HMRC and taxpayer are confidential. They are not shared with employers. If there is a change in your circumstances that give rise to a change in your tax code, the employer is only notified the new code and not details behind the make up of that code. Like wise, the same applies to NI. If you were receiving state benefits and they were means tested then there is likelihood that relevant Government departments would have access of your information through HMRC.


This sharing of information is not extended to your employer or third parties.


Finally, my advice to you would be also to seek opinion from an expert dealing with employment law because of risk involved.


If you need more information please let me know before you rate my service.


I hope this is helpful and answers your question. If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get paid for it.


I am available for any follow up questions you may have, and you can use the reply button to post your follow up questions to the page.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,