How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17125
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

i wish to transfer some hsbc bank shares to my adult son. what

Customer Question

i wish to transfer some hsbc bank shares to my adult son. what would the problems be re tax etc please
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
If you transfer an asset, such as shares, to another person for nothing, that is a gift.
You will be treated as though you had disposed of the asset for its market value.
Making a gift to a child - or to other people or companies - is a ‘disposal’ for Capital Gains Tax purposes. You'll need to work out if Capital Gains Tax is due.

Some gifts of shares may qualify for Gift Hold-Over Relief - a relief that allows you to postpone the gain and the receiver of the shares would pay the tax when they sale.
These must be shares in a trading company, or the holding company of a trading group. If these shares are not a business asset they would not be allowed the hold over relief unfortunately.