How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

if your employer moves your work place on a permanent basis

Customer Question

if your employer moves your work place on a permanent basis requiring you to incur considerable extra cost and you have been claiming the additional travel cost through expenses is this sustainable.
if so for how long, if not over what period can you claim. what is the employers obligation to meet the additional cost of travel if it not recoverable through expenses.
Does the liability for any tax as a result of the above sit with the employee or employer.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.


If your work place has been moved permanently, you will be taxable on any reimbursement of home to work travel costs by your employer from day one I'm afraid. Unfortunately, you cannot claim tax relief for the costs of travel from home to a normal place of work. See chapter 2 and, in particular, paragraph 2.5 of the Employee Travel booklet here. There is no period of grace unless your move to a new work place is temporary and not likely to last more than 24 months. See paragraphs 3.11 and 3.12 of the booklet here.


As well as having to pay tax on the reimbursed travel costs, you may have to pay national insurance contributions. Whether you do or not depends on how the costs are met by the employer. See chapter 6 of the Employee Travel booklet here.

There is no obligation on your employer to pay your travel costs. They are doing it to help you and presumably others to help with the extra travel cost. Many employees get no such help. The employer can pay the tax and NIC for you if it agrees a PAYE Settlement Agreement with HMRC but I'd be surprised if they entered into one of those.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.
I have to go out for a while but I will be back to deal with any follow up questions you may have.