How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17612
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I need a Tax Code for my cuurent employment

Customer Question

I need a Tax Code for my cuurent employment
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 4 years ago.
If you have the P45 from your last employer you were to give that to your new employer. That P45 would have your tax code, your previous earnings, and how much tax you have paid.
If you do not have that or did not receive the P45 then you would have completed the P46 for your new employer.
Your employer would then use an 'emergency' or 'special basis' tax code.
Your employer would send the P46 to HMRC. Once HMRC has details of your previous income and tax paid for the tax year, they send your employer (and you) your full (correct) tax code.
Once all that is competed your employer will withhold the correct tax and can refund any over amount.
944L is the tax code you'll get if you are entitled to just the basic Personal Allowance.

I hope this helps but please let me know if you need to add more information.