How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15976
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

i am self employed driver and the people i work for since july

Customer Question

i am self employed driver and the people i work for since july keep paying vat on my wages i have told them not to as i was vat reg but not now i have not charage them vat but they just sejf bill they can not stop want should i do i do not want to be vat reg
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.

You only need to register for VAT if your gross income over the previous 12 months is more than £79,000 or will breach that level in the next 30 days. See here for confirmation of that. You might shows that to the company and tell that it is illegal for you to charge VAT if you are not VAT registered.

Given the problems you have had so far, you should ask to speak to a manager thrash the matter out and pay back the VAT the company keeps paying to you. You could also ask if you can give them your own invoice since it seems to be beyond them to produce one without VAT on it.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.