How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5115
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Im planning on leaving the country at the end of the year

Customer Question

I'm planning on leaving the country at the end of the year to go backpacking round Asia. I have no plans to return to the UK for several years. I plan to fund this by doing remote freelance work in the digital marketing sector.

What is my tax liability in this situation?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

If you are out of the country for a complete tax year then you are not liable to UK tax for that tax year.

Please make sure you have completed form P85 when you leave the country. This would enable the Tax Office to get your tax right.

More information on form P85 can be found here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.