How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15975
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now


Customer Question

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.

Can you tell me what your question is please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my question is how can I get my vat returns reviewed and corrected by a professional before I inform HMRC about the correct figures, should I hire a freelance for example or speak to an accountant? The last option is more expensive because most accountants when they know there is a lot of work to be done they charge more or they refuse to get involved because I wasn't theire customer before the errors happened
Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.


If you want your figures checked independently then you will have to have an accountant or tax adviser look at them I'm afraid. They will want to see your records without which they will not be able to check the VAT returns for accuracy, or make any necessary adjustments.

If you need the reassurance of a professional review, then you may as well have an accountant do the whole job for you rather than just pay to have the the finished returns checked as there won't be much difference in the work required. Checking the work of other is boring and time consuming and its the time involved that makes it costly.

I don't know if you have seen the notes here, but they may help you in future.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your advice, I did not precise that I already informed HMRC that I am nit sure about the amount of errors I may have had in my vat return and that I am seeking professional help to get it recalculated and tell them the correct amount.
When I did my calculation I included in the expencens rent of premises I used or steel use to trade, but I find out that the landlord is only a tenant and that he subletted to me, so the amount I paid for the £1860 per month for five months normally should be inclusive of VAT.
The reciepts he gave me are done manually and am not sure HMRC will accept this expenditure.
In addition to that I paid previously £1166 per month when used as storage from january until June, he did not gave me any reciept of this.
So thats why I am unable to calculate the right amount of VAT.

This is a very complicated situation and I am not expecting from you to find a solution am just asking advice about how to act with HMRC
Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.
Any invoices you have been issued with for any of your expenses should show a valid VAT number and the amount of VAT charged if the person supplying the goods or service is registered for VAT. You should always ask for invoices for your business expenditure. If you are confident that a sum you have paid included VAT then claim it and try to get an invoice. If you don't want to be seen claiming VAT that may not have been charged and for which you don't have a valid invoice then if I were in your position I wouldn't claim it.

If you have a VAT inspection, you will almost certainly be asked to back up the figures you have reported in your VAT returns with invoices. At the very least, you should keep a record of the payments and the name of the recipient where you have found it impossible to get an invoice with the VAT shown on it. HMRC will then make their own enquiries. Unfortunately, there are many rogue businesses which don't play by the rules and my advice to clients is to report them anonymously.

The best way to deal with HMRC is to be honest in your answers to any questions they may have. They don't expect you to know VAT inside out and they recognise that people make mistakes. That is why there is alot of information on the HMRC website to help business people such as yourself. VAT has grown into one of the more complex areas of tax and there are few people who know it all, if any. Many of my clients have been pleasantly surprised at how helpful the VAT official can be in explaining how to avoid making the most common mistakes when they have had a VAT inspection.