How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17645
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I have been informed by my VAT office that when we sell Liquids,

Customer Question

I have been informed by my VAT office that when we sell Liquids, chemicals or disinfectants (consumables) even if the buyer is VAT exempt we are still required by law to charged VAT at the standard rate on these goods, I have received a VAT exempt certificate from RAF stating that as they use the "Government Purchase Card" they are VAT exempt, they only order chemicals, should I treat these supplies as being VAT exempt or does the consumables ruling still apply?

Many thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for posting your question.
You should follow the instructions set by your VAT office. The office has already advised you of what they require.
I know the RAF has the relief and that is normal for them to request the exempt sale but per their own rules for this the goods purchased under the VAT Relief Program should, under normal circumstances be limited to items that are capable of being exported when you leave the UK.
If these items are for use in the UK then they are not under the exemption.
It took me awhile but I was finally able to get a copy of the RAF letter

Unless you contact your VAT office and they give you the authorization then no, you should stay with what you have already been advised to do.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 4 years ago.
JACUSTOMER-fyxe4rem- Last Viewed on 17/10/2013 at 08:22