How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4773
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have just, to my shock got a demand from the tax office saying

Customer Question

I have just, to my shock got a demand from the tax office saying I owe them tax on a debt I am supossedto have claimed also states that the period ended on 05-04-2010....... its called working tax credit.......they state I have been overpaid..... I kow nothing about this, could you please expain it to me.......many thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith and ready to assist you with your problems. Working Tax Credit is an employment benefit to boost low income administered by HMRC. It used to be paid through payroll by your employer on HMRC instructions. Some years ago the system changed and HMRC now pay it into your bank account direct.

You indicate that you know nothing about this so presumably have received no moneys. You should appeal the the demand by writing to the tax office telling them in no uncertain terms that they are in error and that you have not ever received Working Tax Credit from HMRC. This action may well involve several letters as you work through the layers within the tax office; just persevere!

I had the same problem personally many years ago!