How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14155
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Hi, I am british and living/working overseas and have been

Customer Question

I am british and living/working overseas and have been for some time.
Its likely that will continue.
I have rented my house in Uk and was wondering the if the money received from rent is to be taxed.
My current income is paid by the overseas company. I travel back to uk 3 times per year but now stay in hotels. The house i own and rent is in manchester.

Please let me know. Thanks very much
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your question


Yes if its more than your personal allowance (as you are still awarded UK personal allowances as a British citizen - which is £9440 a year)


However as you are not UK resident, then unless you have registered for the Non Residents landlord scheme, then either your tenants (or managing agent if you have one) should be paying the tax over to HMRC (and then you complete self assessment returns each year and declare rents, less expenses and tax suffered)


If you are registered (or get registered) for the non resident landlord scheme, then you still complete a self assessment tax return each year but just pay any tax due annually.


I have added a link for the Non Resident landlord scheme



Do feel free to ask any follow up questions