How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14165
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Dear Sirs I have been dealing with an accountant for nearly

Customer Question

Dear Sirs
I have been dealing with an accountant for nearly 10 years, last year I went limited with my company and that year ended 31st august 2013 - I have given my accountant all my accounts as usual. last week he came to see me and put a Google statement in front of me that states that there is NO VAT liability. therefor I will have to pay over £7000 back. I have always claimed VAT on all google invoices and have done all my vat returns that way for 10 years and given them to my accountant every year.
Am i right in thinking the accountant has never done his job properly and has never presented my accounts to the HMRC correctly, I understand the vat returns are done by me and not the accountant but I pay him to check ALL my accounts and present them to the HMRC correctly - WHAT SHOULD I DO - this could close me down.???
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

Hi Just Answer Customer


My name is Sam and lets see if we can help you with this


Can you advise

1) have you registered for VAT and have a VAT number

2) Are VAT returns filed each quarter to HMRC

3) Have you charged VAT on the services/goods you supply?




Customer: replied 4 years ago.

daer sam


yes i am registered and have a vat number


yes i myself do the vat returns each quarter


yes i do charge vat as required


my accountant gets all my returns with each years accounts and is supposed to check everything is correct to present my accounts to the hmrc

Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your response and I do apologise if the questions seemed a bit daft (but its important to establish the facts)


Then it would seem you have claimed VAT suffered incorrectly, and as you do the VAT returns yourself, and your accountant only assists with the year end accounts, that there is no recourse on the accountant (as it may well be he does not even use the VAT returns and creates a profit and loss account from scratch, or just transposes the Tax figures (which would be net of VAT) from any software you use.


And whilst the VAT position is a part accounts for each quarter, unless you had specifically agreed that the accountant should check the VAT for you - then again it would appear there is no recourse.


Have you anything drawn up in the papers you have with the accountant (that details what he will do for you) that advised regarding the VAT returns?

If so, please advise and I can offer a way to take this forward.