How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4807
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My mother is a swiss citizen and lives in Zurich. She owns

Customer Question

My mother is a swiss citizen and lives in Zurich. She owns the house I live in in the UK. What taxes am I liable for if she dies, leaving the house to me?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

You are not liable to any taxes although her estate might be the subject of Swiss Inheritance Tax (IT). The position regarding Swiss Law is:

Many Swiss cantons do not levy any taxes on the assets children inherit if on death the deceased is a resident and taxpayer in Switzerland.

The cantons that do have IT have very low rates compared to other countries. For example, the canton of Vaud charges presently only 3.5% of all assets inherited by children.