How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7512
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have worked in Switzerland on a temporary contract. I have

Customer Question

I have worked in Switzerland on a temporary contract. I have paid tax, pension and social insuraces to the Swiss govermenment.
Am I liable to be also taxed on this in the UK?

If so can I offset against expenses
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.



Welcome to Just Answer, my name is Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

Could you advise when this contract started and ceased (so how much time did you spend out of the UK) and what visits you made back to the UK, during this contract period and were any of these visits back to the UK to carry out your employment duties.



Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Sam


the contract started mid march 2012. I am still in Switzerland.


I did not travel to the UK on any employment duties but I did visit. I would need to check this

Prior to starting in Switerland I was in germany for 3 month, again tax was and is yet to be paid to the German tax office.

Most of 2011-2012 tax year was spent in the UK (unemployed)

I paid zero UK tax on the german earning of 2011 but may also be liable for the 2012, Jan and Feb income.


I will look at all travel for 2012 and come back to you

Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your responses


I will need to know the days you visited the UK from March 2012 to 05/04/012 and again for the period 06/04/2012 to 05/04/2013 and so far since 06/04/2013

I also need to know when this Swiss contract is due to cease.

Do you have any ties remaining in the UK such as home (available for you use) or immediate family such as wife/children.


Then I can establish your residency status and whether this allows you to be free of UK tax.