How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4807
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a subcontractor who pays other subcontractors under the

This answer was rated:

I am a subcontractor who pays other subcontractors under the CIS construction industry scheme. I complete a contractors monthly return CIS 300 and pay the tax due monthly by cheque. Since April this year I have been receiving letters advising I have missed the deadline for RTE reporting and they want PAYE/NIC/SLD Dedns amounting to £600 +. The subcontractors I pay are all self employed to pay their own NIC's. I have spoken to my own accountant regarding this matter but he does not seem to know the answer. I have also telephoned HMRC at various times this year and get nowhere. One person I spoke to at HMRC said I should not be paying any more because I am on this CIS construction scheme. Do you know where I could write a letter to, which dept. Thanks.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

You write to the tax office who handles your account. Furthermore write to the office demanding the 600 quid and tell them you do not owe anything and why this is the case. Presumably you have kept a record of all your CIS submissions. It is not unusual for the right hand of HMRC not to know what the left hand one is doing!
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.