How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7519
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have received a letter from HMRC re High Income Childe Benefit

Customer Question

I have received a letter from HMRC re High Income Childe Benefit Charge & don't know how to calculate whether I earn over the £50k threshold. My total credits on my payslip suggest I'm not but don't know how to factor in my non contributory pension element. Can you advise?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

Unfortunately the government child benefit web sites are opaque on this matter and just burble on about income levels, not particularly helpful. What does your P60 end of the year statement say for total income? If it is under 50K then you would appear to be in the clear.

A non contributory pension scheme should be an irrelevancy in your income assessment. Perhaps you could throw some lighton why you think it becomes involved in arriving at the 50K?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 years ago.
Your question has come up on my list without any response from you. Perhaps you have jogged the wrong key?