How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4810
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

produce biodiesel for my own use in my use

Customer Question

Iproduce biodiesel for my own use in my car. I consider myself as an exempt producer of 2500 litres in a 12 month period. After a visit from HMRC they told me I had over produced in a 12 month period by 95 litres and need to register as a bio diesel produced. In my first 12 month period I produced 2595 litres, in my second 12 month period I produced 2200 litre. I have now been issued a £2600 Excise duty bill for the whole amount produced. They will not accept that I just made a simple mistake. I don't have this amount to pay them and need to appeal or something. What can I do? I was made bankrupt 2 years ago and this is why I make my own biodiesel.

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question. My news, I fear, is not good.


HMRC rules on this matter are:


'2.4 What are my obligations?

If you produce 2,500 litres or more biofuels a year, or use 2,500 litres or more of biofuels as motor fuel on which duty has not been paid, you will need to contact us so that we can make arrangements for you to account for the excise duty due on any products set aside, or delivered for use, as a motor fuel.

You will need to do the following:




'Make entry' of your premises (in other words, register with HMRC as a producer and/or user of biofuels).


Keep records relating to the production and trade in biofuels.


Issue detailed delivery notes for each supply of biofuels.


Complete and send returns to HMRC showing the excise duty due for the return period (for example, 1 June to 30 June).


Pay the excise duty due (see paragraph 4.4).

Note: If you have produced less than 2,500 litres in the last 12 months, or if you expect to produce less than this amount in the next 12 months, you may be an exempt producer. If you are an exempt producer you are only required to keep production records (see item 2 in the above table).

top ^

2.5 Making entry (registering your production)

You can download registration forms from our website. If the business is a sole proprietor or a partnership you should complete ‘excise entry' form EX 103 and if the business is an incorporated company, form EX 103A. You can also contact the Helpline on 0300 200 3700 for copies of the forms.


Completed forms should be sent to:


HM Revenue & Customs
Mineral Oil Reliefs Centre
Building 4, BP4002
Benton Park View
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ


Following receipt of your application, you may be visited to examine the suitability of your premises.'


From this you can see that HMRC are correct in their approach, though perhaps a trifle over-zealous. You should appeal against their assessment by means of a letter and ask to mitigate the duty payable. However, to be fair you did actually exceed the permitted maximum and simple mistakes are not an excuse, just try sneaking 2 bottles of spirits through the UK Border Agency!


As a tip never, ever, under any circumstances whatsoever speak directly to an HMRC officoal. Always ask for their comments in writing and respond accordingly. There is always a danger of verbal communications being misconstrued.


Please note that if you have a follow up question I will not be on line again until Sunday.