How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7512
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I used to earn quite well in my previous job, I earned 12376

Customer Question

I used to earn quite well in my previous job, I earned 12376 before tax and paid 1372 tax until month 7 of this tax year now I have been unemployed and been on jobseekers and housing benefits on 3 months receiving ca. 500 per month. I am now starting a new job with 13797 income before tax per year, with 37 hrs per week.

I was wondering how much I will get taxed in my first pay. Will they reduce my new monthly income by the right amount of tax and then increase my monthly net. income in the new tax year? Or will I quite likely get paid too much and then need to pay tax back?

What figures will I be looking at?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.

I cannot work out the figures unless I know exactly how much you will earn for your first month in your new job. When do you start? Will you get a full month's pay for the first month or a percentage for a part month? What tax code were you on in your old job? Did you get a P45 to hand to the jobcentre when you left that job? If so, let me know the gross and tax figures. Have you had a P45 from the jobcentre? If so, let me know the gross and tax figures?