How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4810
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have worked outside of the uk and its tax system for a few

Customer Question

I have worked outside of the uk and it's tax system for a few years now, however my situation has changed.

This year I will be working in the french alps managing a privately owned chalet. 3 or 4 months on a seasonal contract or as a contractor invoicing the clients for my work.

In the summer months I will be contracted as a freelance sailor for 4 events all of which will be a month long. So 4 months of work which I involve them for my time.

In the remaining months I am likely to pick up work as a freelance sailor.

Ideally I would like to declare myself as a UK based tax resident, and pay tax on all my global income.

I assume I would declare myself as Self Employed ?

Where can I get information about the French tax system ? As I don't want to be in the French system.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

You are correct, you should register with HMRC as self employed. As a British Citizen your whole income world wide is taken into account in assessing your Income Tax (IT) position. However the UK has double taxation treaties with countless countries and most of these provide for tax paid in non-UK countries to be set against any individual liability to UK IT.

For information about the French taxation system just enter 'uk citizens working in france' into the Google search engine and the first item to be displayed will be the official French web site which has an excellent resume of the general position. From a brief glance your proposed activities comprise one of the three conditions which would make you liable to French IT, but note my comment regarding double taxation agreements.

I hope I have been able to help with your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So in your opinion I would pay tax in the uk and France ?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 years ago.
It would appear so from my glance at the official French web site which I would urge you to read. I am not, however, an expert in French taxation, nor am I permitted to advise thereon. Remember my comment about double taxation agreements. The IT levied in France is almost certainly allowable against your UK IT liabiity.

You won't be alone in this. Countless chalet managers are Brits earning pin money!