How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14200
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I became self employed in Feb 2013 and received my first job

Customer Question

I became self employed in Feb 2013 and received my first job in April. The first payment I received was on 19/04/13, so when do I need to make my first tax payment?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question

As you started self employment in Feb 2013, HMRC will need to have a 2013 tax return completed by you - which is due to them by 31/01/2014 (if filing online) but as you had NIL income, you will only have expenses - most of these I imagine setting up costs to declare - as your declare the position from the period Feb 2013 to 05/04/2013 for self employment and any other income from 06/04/2012 to 05/04/2013 also. But you will owe no tax or Class 4 National Insurance from self employment as you will have a loss (if you had setting up costs) or NIL income arising.
But if you are planning to fill in the paper return please note this is now late and should have been with HMRC by 31/10/2013.

Then when you come to complete the 2014 tax return (which will be for the period 06/04/2013 to 05/04/2014) you will have the income you have earned from self employment and relevant expenses incurred also from that period. (And along with any other income for the period 06/04/2013 to 05/04/2014) and that return has to be with HMRC by 31/10/2014 if filling in the paper return and by 31/01/2015 if filing online, and this also will be the first time you pay any tax that might be owed (at 31/01/2015)


Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if you need any help completing the 2013 self assessment tax return