How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am getting a large redndancy payment. I know I get 30K tax

Customer Question

I am getting a large redndancy payment. I know I get 30K tax free and I will also maximise my pension payments for this year. I have no previous year allowances I an use on my pension.

Is there anything else I can do to avoid giving 45% to the taxman?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.


You say you will maximise your pension contributions for the 2013/14 tax year and that you have no unused pension contribution allowance from the three previous tax years.

Other than pension contributions or possibly delaying your redundancy until after 5 April 2014, I'm afraid there is really very little you can do to reduce your tax exposure apart from investing in high risk companies through the Enterprise Investment Scheme, the Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme or the Venture Capital Trust Scheme. These schemes are really aimed at those who have risk capital they are prepared to lose in the search for the new Microsoft or Google.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.