How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5112
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am a medical practitioner who has two main sources of income.

Customer Question

I am a medical practitioner who has two main sources of income. For three days a week I work for a medical supplies company on their payroll and pay Class one nat. ins. contributions. The remainder of my time I am self employed and pay Class two nat.ins. contributions. Is it right that I am liable to two types of national insurance payments?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

You pay Class 1 as an employee and Class 2 as self employed... you are liable to both types of NI.

Confirmation of this can be found here (paying national Insurance Contributions on both jobs

I hope this is helpful.