How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16259
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I started a Ltd co in 2012 and started business activity last

This answer was rated:

I started a Ltd co in 2012 and started business activity last year March. I earned very little (300-00£ per month) and started working for a company in Nov this year. Because my wife and I are directors, as I understand, we need to complete a self assessment due on the 31st. Where do I get a Unique Reference number for us? It says I'm already registered because the company is registered but I don't know how to access this? Can you please, please advise?

You can register for self-assessment online starting here or complete a form SA1 here. The company has its own UTR and is a completely separate tax entity to you. I'm not aware that directors of companies are automatically registered for self-assessment so I'd be interested to know where you read that. In fact, I have director clients being told by HMRC they don't need to complete personal tax returns after having done so for several years unless they have other sources of income or they are higher rate taxpayers.

Give that your business only started in March 2013, you probably don't need to complete self-assessment tax returns for 2012/13 unless you took income in the form of salary and/or dividends from the company between the start date and 5 April 2013.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you. I was not sure about the already registered part that was why I needed clarification because I wasn't sure where to go from here. But you have clarified that for me. I only received payments for coaching services i rendered for 2 clients at 150£ each over that period only. Other than a notification from HMRC to state that a Corporation Tax return was due Oct this year I have heard nothing else. So would that mean it will not be necessary to not submit? If that is the case I am going to be a very UN-stressed man tonight. We have never submitted returns yet because I am here on an Ancestral Visa only since 2010.

You would be unlikey to be penalised for a late 2013 tax return if you did register (unless you owed tax for that year) having registered simply because you are a company director. If HMRC decided that they wanted you to complete a 2013 tax return after you registered they woud probably give you three months to complete it from the date of issue.