How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14154
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Hi, do you think you could help with this question : I am

Customer Question

do you think you could help with this question :
I am living in Glasgow, on a pension from Denmark, what is aprox £ 20.000 a year before tax. (tax is payed in DK)

If the pension office DK will allow me to get taxed in UK on that income, can you tell me how much I would pay?

Would I, as a taxpayer have the possibility for getting help for cleaning, heating ect?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question

I assume this is your only income and bring it into the UK - if so you MUST declare this to HMRC - so that it can be taxed under the UK tax system.

Then you have a choice
1) If Denmark are agreeable to paying you free of their tax regime, then you just pay UK tax OR
2) Under the UK tax treaty that we have with Denmark - you are charged UK tax, but then claim credit for the fact that you have suffered tax in Denmark and this is deducted against any UK tax liability arising.

So you should have registered for self assessment as soon as you arrived back in the UK /pension started (whichever was the sooner)

Link here for you to register for self assessment

There are no expenses allowed for personal use within the UK tax system I am afraid, this is a cost you are required to bear at your own expense.
Your income is too high for pension credits and you do not work so not due working tax credits.
But you may be due help with housing benefit and council tax discount from your local authority, get in touch with them and ask them to send you a claim pack for housing benefit and council tax.



Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.
Hi Inge

Let me know if I can of any further assistance, and I hope you were able to register with HMRC for self assessment.
If you need any further assistance, with the completion of the forms, do let me know - you can always ask for me Sam Tax, and I would be happy to help