Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

My husband handled all our finances and since his death some

My husband handled all our finances and since his death some 12 years ago I have been living on a small state pension and a small annuity. I also get attendance allowance which I believe is tax free.

I have a bank account into which the pension etc is paid and gross tax has been deducted for years.

Can you tell me how many years I can back date a request for changing this tax status

Thank you for your help.

Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

You are correct in stating that Attendance Allowance is tax free - but both your state pension and the Annuity are considered for UK tax.

HMRc award you personal allowance entitlement - then from it deduct state pension (as they are not able to take tax from it directly so its always covered with personal allowances) and then any personal allowances left over, are awarded against your annuity.

if you feel, still too muuch tax has been deducted, then you need to do, is find your P60 for year ending 05/04/2007 through to year ending 05/04/2013 from the annuity company (if you acnnot find these then I am sure they will be happy to supply a letter with this information)

Then fill in form R40 for each tax year with details of your state pension and annuity.
Link here for this form
http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/forms/view.page?record=pf-A5D0R72E&formid=818

Send this to HMRC - use the HMRC address on the P60 but if you do not have this, then send the completed R40s to XXXXX & Customs
Pay As You Earn
PO Box 1970
Liverpool
L75 1WX