taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

What VAT payments do I put on my self assessment form? I am

What VAT payments do I put on my self assessment form? I am flat rate, cash based business.
I record my income (receipts during that period) as gross and my outgoings as gross. I then put VAT paid as a business expense.

My financial year runs april to march. My VAT returns end a month later, and obviously is paid 1 month 7 days after the period. My question is, what VAT figures do I put down? OPTION 1: The 4 payments paid to HMRC during that april - march which would relate to a different period.
OPTION 2: the 12 months worth of VAT relating to April to March (that would relate to the receipts taken during that period?) which will look different to my actual VAT return
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

If you are cash based business, then I recommend you input actual VAT payments made to HMRC during the period April 2012-March 2013.

I would also advise you to apply this principle consistently year on year.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so the actual 4 bank payments made during that period, ie option 1 as I laid out the question?

Catherine, thak you for your prompt reply.

Yes, the actual 4 bank payments made during that period.

I hope this is helpful

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Catherine, my pleasure.

Best wishes