How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14154
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Hi, I have recently had a problem with my accountant and have

Customer Question

Hi, I have recently had a problem with my accountant and have decided to file my own self assessment online. I have asked for my online details as I don't have copies and do not know my unique tax payer reference, the deadline for online filing is approaching rapidly, please advise on the best solution as he is insisting I send my invoices and receipts to file my SA online himself. Thanks John
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

I will have to be blunt as assessment day approaches fast. Tell your accountant that his actions are unethical and that if you want your details he must release them. No doubt he will adopt the line that he has a lien on them until his bill is paid. I would be inclined to tell him that you will report his antics to his professional institute. Now comes the problem, there is no legal definition of an accountant and anyone can set up as such. This has been the case since time immemorial and the accountancy institutes have been on the the authorities for years to get this changed, but then one might ask what do we do about the turf accountant? The bookie has been around even longer!

You may well in the longer term have to plead your inability to file with HMRC. Not all HMRC staff are ogres and you might, and I only say might, get a dispensation from penalties for not filing on time. I am sorry I cannot be more helpful in my answer. You can get duplicate signing on data from HMRC, but this takes time and time is short, see the beginning of this paragraph.

If you can get the signing on data fortunately you have your paper work so in that way you have the upper hand.
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.
I am afraid my colleague is wrong - you would need to apply for the use of online services yourself, as the access codes to the online services your accountant uses is one USER ID and one password for ALL his clients.You would need to apply and enrol for online services as an individual for yourself. So do not go reporting this accountant - as he is merely unable to assist with the information you need, and may only have been offering to assist as the deadline is fast approaching and he feared you would not get access online until after the deadline (which would save you £100 straight off!) ThanksSam
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 years ago.
I am not wrong. I am aware of four companies all of whom are serviced by the same accountant and all have different user IDs and passwords which have been issued over time at the insistence of HMRC.
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

Link here which details

1) One application for user ID and password as an agent
2) Add in of services to use
3) Individual client authorisation to add onto agents list

Clearly states as an agent you register one and obtain a user ID and password - then add in the services, then add each client in through agent authorisation - so you end up with a list of all your clients