How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15975
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Hello. I am employed in a regional post and as my family dont

Customer Question

Hello. I am employed in a regional post and as my family don't wish to move I have bought a studio flat that I only use for living in during the week whilst I work. Would I be able to claim tax relief against any of the expenses incurred in maintaining this?
Many thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.

I'm afraid that there are no tax reliefs available for the cost of the living accommodation that you have close to your work. Such expenses are seen rightly or wrongly depending on your standpoint as purely private expenditure that cannot be subsidised by the Treasury and, ultimately, other taxpayers.

I'm sorry this is not good news. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Oh dear! Worth a try!

Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. It's always worth asking and finding out.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.
Hi again.

I can see that you have read my answer to your question. If you need further clarification, let me know. If not, would you kindly rate my answer so that I get paid for my work. Thanks.