How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

can you offset unfurnished property trading losses against

This answer was rated:

can you offset unfurnished property trading losses against a capital gain on selling a property?

What do you mean by property trading losses? Do you mean losses which are an incurred due to an excess of letting expenses over rental income?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



I'm afraid that you cannot offset losses of the type you have incurred against the capital gain you make when you sell the property. Such losses can only be offset against other rental income. Take a look here for information of how rental losses can be used.

I'm sorry this is probably not the answer you wanted. Let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just as I thought, but thanks for the confirmation