How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17123
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

Please can you advise me.. if you own a property and inherit

This answer was rated:

Please can you advise me.. if you own a property and inherit a property from your parents if you then want to sell the inherited one do you have to pay capital gains tax? Is there any way to avoid paying it or reducing the amount to a minimum. Thanks
If the inherited property is property that you lived in as your main home from the time you inherited it to the time you sell or dispose of it, you may not have to pay Capital Gains Tax when you dispose of it. This is because any gain you make when you dispose of your main home may be free of Capital Gains Tax through 'Private Residence Relief.
If you sell or dispose of a property that does not qualify for Private Residence Relief you must work out the gain or loss.
If you used the property for business then you may have relief from CGT.
If you inherited it after 31 March 1982 - you use its market value on the date of death of the person who left it to you as the cost. Your gain or loss will be the difference in cost and sale price.
Make sure you use the correct cost amount so you report the correct gain or loss.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you