How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4763
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

i live in scotland but work in wesyt africa how much tax should

This answer was rated:

i live in scotland but work in wesyt africa how much tax should i expext to pay
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

Before I can help I need some more information.

When did thus job start, for whom do you work and how many days so you spend in the UK each tax year? I assume that you are a UK national domiciled in Scotland.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have worked for the company for near 3 years mostly in west africa

on a drill ship the last year actually back in scotland i was 195 days

yes iam scottish by birth and never lived any where else apart from work

Sorry to be a pest, but was that 195 days in the UK every year or an overall total?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no problem it is supposed to a 28 and 28 rotation

but for various reasons example visa i have had to stay longer to wait for a relief so each year may be different but unlikely to be less than 180

Right, relatively simple, you are liable to UK taxation throughout. The UK has double taxation agreements with most countries and the general rule is that any local tax paid is allowable as a credit against any UK tax liability. However, your time as a rig worker I cannot cover as HMRC rules are so complex they are not published. HMRC advice is that you have to take the matter up with your tax office.

I am sorry to have to impart gloomy news and also be, in part, unable to assist at all.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i know a liitle more than i did

i receive my salary from accont depatment in Jersey in dollar

and Lloyds then covert to pounds last year a opened an account in isle of man to pay my salary into to see if this could soften the blow

to be honest i did try a local accountant he looked at my pay slips

and said he could not help either

It is a great pity your local accountant could not help. I do know of a gentleman locally who was in exactly the same situation as you and his tax affairs are handled exclusively by his accountant. I can only advise you to scout around and find a local practitioner more used to dealing with overseas employments. The rules for your type of work are so complex that even HMRC will not come clean and publish details. I am so sorry not to be able to be of more help and effectively unable to add to my original answer.
Thank you for your excellent support.