How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4810
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Hi I have to work over 120 miles away from my home, as I cannot

This answer was rated:

Hi I have to work over 120 miles away from my home, as I cannot afford to move closer to my work, I am an aircraft engineer so I need to be near airports. I am renting a room can I claim this against my tax?
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

I assume that you are employed and paid under PAYE arrangements. If that is the case then then you can only have one place of employment and any other location where you work counts as duty away from your normal place of employment and subsistence, including temporary accommodation cost, is allowable against tax. However, if for example you live near Gatwick and work normally at Heathrow then the travel between the two locations is travel from residence to place of business and not allowable against tax.

I hope I have been able to help you with your problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That is not the question I asked. I only have one employment I live in Lincoln and Work at Luton airport, That is to far to commute so I rent a room while I also pay a mortgage on my house. Can I claim the room rental against my TAX

Thank you for clarifing your situation. Unfortunately you cannot claim your room rental against tax. That you choose to work on a permanent basis so far from your home is your personal decision and does not attract tax relief. Your mortgage interest is not allowable against tax either and has not been these 20 years.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.