How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5141
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I bought shares in my company whilst living abroad and non-resident

This answer was rated:

I bought shares in my company whilst living abroad and non-resident but sold them after my return as a Resident (under the new statutory definition). I bought the shares at a range of prices between 2005 and 2010. The weighted average price was approximately 7p. On the date of my return in September 2013 the price was 2p but when I sold in December 2013 the price had risen to 7p.

Overall there was no gain. How would CGT be levied in this case.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Gain is the difference between your weighed average price and the sale price. the valuation Septemeber 2013 is irrelevant for calculating the gain/loss as nothing was realised then.

In your case, as there is no gain there will be no CGT payable.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.
Your reward of a bonus is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes.