How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4810
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

if iv lived in my house over 20 years do i stll have to pay

Customer Question

if i'v lived in my house over 20 years do i stll have to pay the bedroom tax.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

The 'bedroom tax' applies to people of working age living in a council or housing association housing. However, if you been living at the same address since 1996 and have been in receipt of Housing Benefit [breaks not exceeding 4 weeks] throughout, then you can apply to your local authority to have your claim reassessed. Such a claim can be 'inherited' through family members entitled to the benefit living at the same address providing that you have been living there since 1996.

The Housing Federation Newsletter sets out the position very clearly. Use any search engine to have a gander.

I do hope I have been able to throw some light on your position.